Thursday, March 4, 2010

Birth Story.

Some people say that there is no such thing as love at first sight, but I believe otherwise. At exactly 8:48 February 21st I saw my little Ollie for the first time and as soon as I did my heart swelled up with love. Of course the birth story really began about a week prior so lets rewind.

Saturday night February 13th I started having contraction. As the night went on so did they and as they progressed I wondered to myself if this was it. I was timing them and was awake all night when they had steadily been going on for about two hours, at five min apart and pretty painful I finally called my mom to come up and stay with the boys. She got up here around 3:30 in the morning and as I was waking Justin up to get ready to go to the hospital the contractions started slowing down. Luckily I didn't go in to the hospital because a few hours later the contractions had completely stopped. I had sent my mom home and Justin was back in bed. As the week went on the contractions kept coming on and off. Tuesday I had a Dr.s appointment and I was very disappointed to find out I wasn't even dilated! All these contractions I had been having was good for nothing. With my due date soon approaching, the 18th I was feeling anxious. The doctor sent me home and told me to come back on Monday to see where I was. So I went home to wait it out and endure yet more false labor contractions!

Thursday night I was feeling pretty lousy and my dad offered to go and get dinner and bring it to our house. I was really in the mood for Chinese food so being the wonderful father that he is he brought me Chinese. After the meal we all did the traditional opening of the fortune cookie and mine read "You will enjoy doing something different this weekend." and my lucky number was 21. We laughed at it and joked that baby Johnson would be born that weekend on the 21st. Little did we know it was no joke!

So early Sunday morning once again I am feeling pretty crappy due to these false labor contractions. (Why they call it false labor I have no idea because it feels very real!) At this point I am getting pretty annoyed and thinking this baby is never going to come on its on and I am just going to have to continue dealing with these contractions that are leading up to nothing. At about 3:00 the contractions became five min apart, and by 4:00 they were a steady three min apart and getting pretty intense. In my head I was thinking "Here we go again with the false labor". Justin on the other hand was getting all excited and trying to convince me to go in to the hospital. The last thing I wanted was to go into the hospital and have them tell me it was just false labor and to go back home. Once Justin started looking up how to deliver a baby at home, getting out clean towels, and washing his arms up to his elbows, I decided we for his sake should probably go in. We got to the hospital a little after 5:00 they got me set up in a room and checked me and sure enough I was dilated to a five. Hip Hip Hooray get me that epidural! It didn't take long for the anesthesiologist to get there and he started me on my epidural. Only it didn't work. It numbed me a little but I could still feel the contractions coming and going. So he removed it and did it again. This one took a little more but yet I could still feel the need to pee so he said it wasn't good enough and asked if he could try it one more time. Luckily at this point some of the epidural is working and I'm feeling pretty good, so sure why not, poke me one more time. Well third time is a charm because hallelujah it worked! The only thing I could feel was pressure to push! At this point it is around 8:30 and they check me only to find that I am dilated to a 10 and baby is ready to come. They went to get the Dr. (mine was out of town)he came in broke my water and told me he would be back in 10 min. The nurse started me pushing, then stopped me! She ran to get the Doctor because this baby was coming now. Doctor Robinson ran in, sat down and after two more pushes baby O shot out. No I am not exaggerating. The cord was wrapped around his neck and as the Dr. turned to get a tool to unwrap it I kept pushing and the cord spring loaded Oliver right into the Dr. lap. So at 8:48 Baby Oliver weighing 7lbs 7oz and 20 1/2" long joined our family and yes it was love at first sight.

Maybe there really is something to the old fortune cookie after all!


Valerie said...

Wow what a story. I can't imagine how frustrating that had to be to feel those "fake" but painful contractions. I am so glad Ollie was born quick and that everything went well. He is sure is adorable!

Celeste Adams said...

He is such a cute little baby. Congratulations! I wish I would be able to see him and your family before we leave to go back to Michigan. Give me a call when your not so busy.

The WIlloughby Family said...

So glad it went well and Ollie boy is good I can't wait to snuggle him!!!!!!!